12/10/20

Covid Ramblings: Back in America

 Hi friends. It's been a really long time! Things have been hectic and crazy but also seemingly mundane enough to where I feel like I have nothing noteworthy to share. I think we're all feeling that weird mixture of stress and fatigue right now with everything that is going on in the world, and America specifically. 

We are officially back in the states after three wonderful years in Japan and honestly it feels like it was a lifetime ago. We've been back in NC since October and the here-and-now seems so much stronger and more real to me than the last few years abroad, which is crazy when I think about it! Part of that is probably pregnancy brain related (baby #2 due in March) and part of it is chasing a toddler around all day, and at least half of it is my brain blocking crazy shit out in a pathetic attempt at self preservation haha!

All four fur babies and the tiny human made it back in one piece, as did a super stressed out mom and dad but we're here now! And that is the important part. I've been jumping back into work in the real estate world which has been a wonderful change of pace after doing only referrals for the last few years, and we've bee building our investment folder personally which is also super fun! 

The hubby and I are also under contract on a home down in pensacola where we will be stationed starting in the spring. I'm currently in the process of getting my Florida Brokers license reinstated so that I can split my time between NC and FL for work, and there is definitely a lot of good stuff in the works for this transition so keep your fingers crossed for my sanity. 

It has been strange coming home to a country ravaged by this pandemic after being in Japan, where the public and the government took action quickly and came together for the greater good. I don't feel very proud to be an American right now which makes me sad. We were able to vote overseas and make our voices heard for which I am thankful but I would be lying if I said I wasn't worried about the state of things in America right now. I am hopeful that this new administration will be able to turn things around and bridge the gap a bit, but at the same time I feel disgusted that so many hateful people are spewing their bogus and dangerous rhetoric around with abandon, and I don't want to bridge the gap with them. 

It's just kind of a scary time to be a parent in America. Everyone wants what is best for their children, and so many systems are broken here. We will have a lot of interesting decisions to make in the near future as far as education, healthcare, etc...and I'm not looking forward to it. 

Anyways, I am going to start to try to get back into the swing of writing since it is super cathartic for me and I would love to have you along for the journey. Goodness knows we could all use a little community these days! 

I hope you all have a relaxing and peaceful week, without a lot of holiday stress. If we've learned anything this year it should probably be that we need less than we think, and we have more than enough already. Let's keep in mind that old adage of building a longer table this season and paying it forward to those who are struggling in this time of uncertainty. 

Talk soon, Em


No comments:

Post a Comment

Covid Ramblings: Back in America

 Hi friends. It's been a really long time! Things have been hectic and crazy but also seemingly mundane enough to where I feel like I ha...