9/13/16

A Few Good Books

Today is September 13th which means; the movers come to pack our stuff up in 6 days, we move in 7 days, the first day of fall is in 9 days, and our wedding is in 123 days. Just a few random facts that I have been ruminating on this morning.

The week has ben very laid back so far as J wraps up his last few events and I work on getting us ready for our respective moves. It's crazy to think that this will be our last week living together for the next 6 months. But it will go quickly and we will definitely rack up some miles visiting each other! Speaking of...does anyone have a credit card that they recommend for getting miles? 

Oh! And we officially closed on the Durham House this week after a long repair period. I am very excited to see it again in person! Oh the joys of buying real estate from another state :) It looks like I'll be getting to Durham a few days before the truck so I will be camping out with the animals at my parents place while assessing the new digs for decor and furniture placement (which we all know if the best part of moving into a new place).

Since I've been spending the last few weeks practicing the good old game of 'hurry-up-and-wait' I've had time to burn through a few books on my never ending reading list! Keep in mind these books are all over the place and have absolutely nothing in common except that I really enjoyed them...

1. Lean In - Sheryl Sandberg 
This book is everything. If you are a woman in the work force, read it. If you are a woman NOT in the workforce, read it. If you're a man, read it. The stories and statistics discusses by Sandberg in this book are enlightening and empowering. I also added about 7 of the books from her bibliography to my next stack of books to read.

http://amzn.to/2cupArL


2. How To Be Parisian Wherever You Are
This book was very entertaining to me. Partially because it was so abrasively and stereotypically French that I found it hilarious. But also because in between the ludicrous Parisian 'snobbisms' there was actually some good advice about being who you are and not caring what people think about your faults. It takes like 3 hours to read and is good for a rainy day when you're feeling especially existential. Or bored.

http://amzn.to/2curit2


3. The Sixth Extinction - Elizabeth Kolbert
This was my second time reading this gem. I'm definitely a sucker for a good case study and anything anthropological. This book does an amazing job of bringing to light how patterns in nature have occurred over time and how humans are effecting the environment.

http://amzn.to/2cE89dg


4. The Fiery Cross - Diana Gabaldon
I love this series (Outlander) and this book has been especially fun to read because **SPOILER** it is set in NC. This story line never ceases to surprise me and I'm very curious to see how the book progresses...

http://amzn.to/2cE8pZB


What is everyone else reading right now?? I'm always open to suggestions!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Covid Ramblings: Back in America

 Hi friends. It's been a really long time! Things have been hectic and crazy but also seemingly mundane enough to where I feel like I ha...