5/27/15

h o u s e t o h o m e

one thing i have learned from the many moves I've made in my life, especially this cross country one, is that i am a minimalist trapped in a pack-rats body. if anyone were to ask me what my ideal home would be, i would probably answer that i love industrial and scandinavian styles with bright pops of color and plants everywhere! 

that being said; i can't keep greenery alive to save my life, i have way too many books stuffed everywhere, i prefer to have a million animals, and i always end up with really loud, eclectic pieces of furniture. in short, my home always slightly resembles the Weasley's Burrow from Harry Potter. not necessarily a bad thing, and definitely homey and cozy, but also furry, erratic, and cluttered. 

somewhere between the pristine, white, minimalist home in my head & the hodge podge of hand me downs, dog hair, and bright red ikea furniture there lies a beautiful balance. and i actually think that after this last move we may have gotten pretty close.

the most important thing, in my opinion, when it comes to making a house a home is being able to identify those important, key things that make you feel completely relaxed and comfortable in your space. after all, your home should be a place where you feel completely at ease, it should be your sanctuary. a place to entertain friends and family, but also a place where you can hide away from the world and do your own thing. 

when i think about what i need to feel perfectly cozy in my home i can think of several very important factors that play a huge role in how i chose to decorate my house. 

1. fairy lights: i LOATHE overhead lighting and would rather sit in the dark and talk about politics than have a horrid, white light blinding me from above and making me look paler than i already am. 
fairy lights are warm, they add character to any space, and they make any room instantly cozier.

2. blankets & pillows: there is nothing better than curling up on the couch with a good book and wrapping yourself in a snuggly blanket. also, i am always freezing so my blanket collection is extensive to say the least. 

3. oil diffuser & candles: with four animals and a marine in the house things can get a little smelly. i always have candles burning to make sure things stay fresh. my oil diffuser is a miracle worker. we basically have this thing running 24/7. my favorite oils to diffuse right now are peppermint, sweet orange, and lemon. this mixture is perfect for hot summer days, it is revitalizing, and it isn't overpowering. 

4. books: James and i both have an astounding number of books. we seriously need about 3 more book shelves because every surface in our house has stacks of books on it. i love to read, and even though i will use my iPad occasionally, there is nothing better than holding an actual book in your hand and flipping the pages!

5. tea: peppermint tea. all day. every day. i don't know how i would ever get water into my body without tea. end of story.

6. my pets: as i was thinking about how nice it would be to have an impeccably clean, fur-less household i realized how boring and quiet and lonely a house would feel with no animals. suuure i spend about 60% of my life swiffering, cleaning up dog bone, dusting, and washing linens, but i mean, what do people who don't have animals do with all of that free time?? i would probably just eat. pets are definitely a must have for me :) the companionship, entertainment, and responsibility that comes with having pets is well worth the effort of keeping a clean home. 

sure there are lots of other things that make a home comfy and personal, but for me, these are a few of the big ones and i always make sure to take them with me wherever i go. so the next time you're thinking about moving or decluttering a room in your house, think about what you love to have around you and maybe it won't seem so hard create a space that you want to be in :)




-E

No comments:

Post a Comment

Covid Ramblings: Back in America

 Hi friends. It's been a really long time! Things have been hectic and crazy but also seemingly mundane enough to where I feel like I ha...