8/19/15

real estate

   As most of you probably know, I have been a Realtor in North Carolina for 3 years and am currently getting licensed as a broker in Florida. But one could argue that I've been in Real Estate for my entire life. Growing up, I was constantly surrounded by realtors, dragged along to closings, and barraged by information regarding the real estate market in a way that only a person with generations of realtors as family members could be. 


   My grandmother, Marie Austin, started her Real Estate company in her very own living room in 1960. She was ahead of her time in many ways, but especially as a woman in a predominantly male field of work during a time when it was almost completely unheard of for a wife and mother to own a business. However, her dedication to her clients and willingness to go above and beyond for each person, no matter the price tag of their home, their skin color, or where they came from, soon made it known that Marie Austin was a force to be reckoned in the Real Estate market of good old Durham, North Carolina. 



   Well I guess being a Realtor was genetic because my mother, Joan Austin, went to work for the family business (which was going stronger than ever) almost straight out of college! Together, with a group of almost solely female agents, Marie Austin Realty became one of the most well-known and respected realty firms in the triangle. Known for many things, tenacity and kindness included, Marie Austin Realty became the standard for service, quality, & tradition in the real estate market. 



   My mother and grandmother showed me at an early age that women not only belonged, but thrived in the business world. Having such strong female role models as a young girl made me the strong, independent woman I am today. And let me tell you, those Austin women are a force to be reckoned with, especially when you are on the other side of the negotiations...I would know! Growing up, I never in a million years thought I too would follow in their footsteps and become a realtor. But after being convinced to get my license because "it might come in handy one day," I took the course and became a licensed broker in NC. 



   There were times when I wasn't sure that real estate was for me. Living up to such high standards in a community where my grandmother and mother were so well-known was daunting and, as I'm sure anyone will tell you, working in a family business can be a difficult balancing act. But, over the years I have grown to truly appreciate the history behind my family business and the amazing knowledge that has been passed down to me for so many years!



   When I decided to move to Florida with James, it was the single hardest decision that I've ever made in my life for many reasons. Who would leave behind a ready made career and family business that had been handed down after 50+ years of work?? Even I thought I was crazy at times. My family, friends, network, trusted clients and coworkers, all of the wonderful vendors and attorneys and local businesses that I had been working with for my whole career were going to be in NC...

I honestly struggled with this decision for about 6 months before taking the plunge and making the move. I was worried that I was letting my family down. But, if I had learned anything from those strong go-getter women, it was that you should always follow your heart and trust your gut!


   Now, as I work to learn the market down here in Florida and meet new friends and co-workers and clients, I've come to realize that all of the knowledge I learned in Durham has followed me down here and I know now that Real Estate IS what I'm meant to do. I love meeting new people and working to find them the perfect new home! And I love the challenge of marketing a house for my sellers, its become such a game of social media and knowing the ins and outs of your local market, its almost like a giant puzzle that is made specifically for millennials like me ;) There is honestly no better feeling than knowing you have made your clients happy and that through hard work and determination you have helped them through one of the more arduous tasks in life (and become good friends in the process!)



   I know that for the next few years, I will probably not be in any one place for too long. However, real estate is a wonderful job to have while being nomadic. Getting to meet new people, learn about the markets in different places, expand my knowledge of the national real estate trends, and help people find homes all over the country sounds like a pretty great adventure to me! This is a career where you never stop learning and must always be ahead of the curve, so it never gets dull. I know that one day I will end up back in the Bull City carrying on the family tradition of Marie Austin Realty, but until then I am excited to continue helping bring buyers and sellers together right here...wherever here may be!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Covid Ramblings: Back in America

 Hi friends. It's been a really long time! Things have been hectic and crazy but also seemingly mundane enough to where I feel like I ha...