10/16/18

A Little Dash Of Santosha

This morning I woke up and decided that, instead of running around like crazy person trying to get my to -do list of the day done, I was going to take a few minutes to ask myself what I needed right now. You know, really ask, what does my mind, body, and spirit need today in order to feel fulfilled and complete? The yoga principle of Santosha (or contentment) came to mind. Santosha isn't about being 110% ecstatically enthused and PERFECTLY happy with every single thing. It's much more simple and pure than all that. Santosha is simply being satisfied and at peace with where you are right now. It's actually an incredibly beautiful concept when you think about it. Sometimes it can feel like we, as humans, are always striving and reaching and fighting against something to achieve something else. And while goals and energy and movement are great things, we are generally terrible about balancing that super Yang energy with the more subtle Yin energies!

We are all guilty of having a day off or taking a holiday and having that sneaking suspicion that we are forgetting something, or that we should be DOING something. We feel guilty for sitting down and reading a book when we could be doing something 'productive'. Its really hard to get out of that mindset! Our culture tells us that slowing down and taking this time is lazy. But how is self care, contentment, and mindfulness lazy?

There does seem to be a shift culturally towards being more mindful and grateful, but there always seems to be a catch. A product to buy to make it possible, a book claiming to have all of the answers. Or a class you can take to learn how to be a better person. *insert eye roll here* Talk about over complicating one of the simplest, cheapest, most internal processes a person can experience! It might sound cheesy but everything you need to practice santosha is within you already, literally. In fact, if you are adding all of these extra things into the equation, you're kind of defeating the purpose.

It is as simple as taking a few minutes right when you wake up, before you get out of bed, maybe even before you open your eyes, and thinking of a few things you are grateful for right now. What things in your life are you truly and utterly thankful for? And then ask yourself, what is one thing that I could do today that would bring me contentment? Maybe you've been wanting to go play in your garden for an hour all week, or maybe you would love to sit on the porch and have a hot cup of coffee before work! Ask yourself these questions without judgement or guilt or anxiety. And then make the time to do it! It's that simple :)

When I asked myself what would make my heart truly content today, it said to leave my errands for tomorrow, and take the day to create. I wanted to spend my day baking, reading, writing, listening to  music, and doing yoga. So I did.

I realize how lucky I am to be able to take a whole day to observe santosha in such an extreme way. Being in Okinawa, I have the privilege of a very easy work schedule. I teach english online at night, and a few yoga classes during the week. I have much more free time than most and it's taken me a long time to get used to the idea and not feel guilty about it. That guilt has honestly probably caused me to under-appreciate this time and create busy work for myself to do so I feel more useful (whatever that means). It's a perfect example of how we as humans, identify our self worth with how busy we are. But being busy does not always equate with being productive or smart or worthwhile, and I think we all need to take a second look at how we are spending our time.

I would love for everyone to take more time to work on relationships, with others and ourselves personally. To ask the questions like, how can I make this world a better place? How can I be more kind? How can I feel more complete and happy with what I already have? Do I need all of these things in my house or does someone else need them more?

If we all took the time to observe santosha (contentment) every day, I think we would realize that there are a whole lot of extra, noisy, distracting things that we surround ourselves with but don't really need. In fact, we probably need the exact opposite.

So, take a deep breath, let go of all of that useless guilt and kinetic energy (just for a moment) and ask yourself what you truly need to be content and at peace with yourself, right now.

<3 Em



No comments:

Post a Comment

Covid Ramblings: Back in America

 Hi friends. It's been a really long time! Things have been hectic and crazy but also seemingly mundane enough to where I feel like I ha...