11/12/15

Little Friday

Boxes, boxes, boxes, coffee. 



This morning I am working from home instead of my usual coffee shop in order to get our life packed into boxes and ready for our move. The SECOND one this year I might add. Hooray Marine Corps! But seriously, I am so excited and thankful to be moving into our new house. I've spent my morning making a couple of cold calls, transaction coordinating a bit, piling books up, wrapping dishes up, listening to NPR, and chugging coffee like my life depends on it. 

Good thing I work well under pressure! Work is incredibly busy all of the sudden so it's been difficult to find time to get things packed up but this morning I am on a roll. And thank goodness because I know that moving day will be here before we know it, and the holidays will follow almost immediately. 

I'm excited for all of the festivities we are going to have in the new place; decorating, getting a big christmas tree, baking in a REAL kitchen, listening to holiday music! But, I definitely subconsciously skipped over the whole packing and moving thing in my brain which was a huge amateur move. Oh well, I'm on it now, and actually I find it very therapeutic to go through our things and organize/pack them up. It's a good way to get rid of things you don't need and get your life organized again.

With all that being said, moving is still a pain in the you-know-what and unfortunately a big part of military life. I even have an entire pinterest board dedicated to PCSing and moving tips (feel free to check it out...there is actually some awesome info) But the best tips I can give in regards to moving are below...

1. Start early. 
2. Go one room at a time.
3. Get free boxes from grocery stores, costco, or ask around on the spouse pages on FB.
4. For the love of god, USE LABELS!
5. News paper, and styrofoam/paper plates make packing kitchen stuff up really easy.
6. You need more tape than you think.
7. Use blankets, pillows, and linens to keep breakable things safe.
8. Ask for help. Have your friends come help you move and provide beer and pizza!
9. Pack the heaviest stuff in small boxes so you don't overload them.
10. Put the things you will need right away in a very obvious box. (cough cough toilet paper cough)

Hope these little tid-bits help!
E


No comments:

Post a Comment

Covid Ramblings: Back in America

 Hi friends. It's been a really long time! Things have been hectic and crazy but also seemingly mundane enough to where I feel like I ha...