1/7/17

A Hygge Home

Everything seems to slow down when it snows. The air is so quiet and still and pleasantly muffled. I love how immediately cozy the house becomes. As someone who is obsessed with creating cozy spaces and can't function in an environment that isn't warm and welcoming, I find snow days to be utterly perfect. It's the perfect time to pop in a movie, throw something in the crock pot, or just sit down and read a good book. There's just something about knowing that outside it is cold and wet and gross but inside everything is comfy and inviting.

This morning when I woke up the ground was covered with about 4 inches of fluffy snow, and more snow was still falling. I opened up the curtains so that I could watch the snow fall and the people walk by with their kids and dogs while I made a cup of tea and fed the dogs. It made me think of an article I read recently about the Scandinavian term 'hygge'.

Hygge translates closely to mean 'well-being' but there actually isn't a direct english word that embodies its full meaning. Hygge (pronounced "hoo-gah") can also translate to mean 'cozy' and represents finding happiness and comfort in every day things. This is definitely becoming a bandwagon trend but I am thrilled that there is finally a term that describes what I strive to achieve every day. Because hygge isn't just about faux fur throws, candles, and minimalist decor. It's also about simple gatherings of friends and family. It invokes a sense of togetherness, nesting, and simple pleasures like; having a casual dinner party, grilling out and drinking wine, and laughing and lounging with a close group. It's casual, comfortable, and cozy. I love it.

The best part about hygge is that you don't have to do anything fancy to achieve it, and there is no right or wrong way to do it because it is a feeling. The older I get the more I appreciate having friends over for a casual, easy going night instead of going out and partying. If everyone brings a bottle of wine, hunkers down on the couch, and plays board games and chats into the late hours that is perfect to me. So, in this new year, I plan on continuing my love affair with hygge and throwing many more dinner parties and game nights. How's that for a new years resolution?? More wine. More late night chats. More laughter and love. More friends and family.

Cheers :)

How do you incorporate the idea of hygge in your home?





No comments:

Post a Comment

Covid Ramblings: Back in America

 Hi friends. It's been a really long time! Things have been hectic and crazy but also seemingly mundane enough to where I feel like I ha...