9/15/15

Sweet Potato & Black Bean Quinoa Salad

Tonight I decided to try a new recipe from the blog www.simplyquinoa.com 

However, I am not mentally capable of following a recipe without deciding that it would be better if I change a few hundred things. Sometimes it works, sometimes its disgusting ;)

That being said, this recipe was very simple to make and definitely satisfied my need to eat something leafy and green but still full of flavor. If you know me, you know that I am not the best chef in the world, or even close to it!  In fact, I'm pretty sure I resemble a mad scientist in a faulty lab more so than a semi-capable cook in her kitchen. 

But! This recipe was easy peasy and I managed to not set anything on fire. Holla.

I started by bringing 2 cups of water to a boil and adding 1 cup of quinoa. Quinoa takes about 15-20 to cook so I put a lid on it and let it do its thing. 

Next, I chopped up a large sweet potato, doused the chunks in coconut oil and a bit of brown sugar, laid them out on a baking sheet and stuck them in the oven at 425 to bake for approximately 15 mins. (scrambling them up with a big spoon every once in a while)

While the potatoes and quinoa were cooking I added 2 avocados, some lemon juice, basil from our garden, 1/2 cup of water, garlic salt, and LOTS of pepper to my food processor and whipped up some homemade avocado ranch. It was ok, but not great. I think I added too much lemon juice...

Once the quinoa was done cooking I mixed in the chunks of sweet potato and black beans (had I remembered to buy black beans...) poured the concoction over a bed of fresh greens, and drizzled my home made ranch on top. 

Thankfully, the sweetness of the potatoes balanced out the lemon in my dressing and it tasted pretty darn good. Also, coconut oil on sweet potatoes makes your whole kitchen smell amazing and you should cook them all the time. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Covid Ramblings: Back in America

 Hi friends. It's been a really long time! Things have been hectic and crazy but also seemingly mundane enough to where I feel like I ha...